Tuesday 21 April 2009

PJ Harvey


Finally. For now.

After years of waiting, I got to see the lady of mysteries, PJ Harvey. She was the only artist I named without hesitation as my top one to see, so dear readers can now imagine my anticipation and excitement. However, however, the gig being PJ Harvey and John Parish and not PJ alone hinted at my possible future disappointment but how wrong I was. For PJ Harvey is a queen is PJ Harvey is a queen. Immaculate. Her voice is perfect, her moves accentuate the rhythm or melody. Needless to say, she is utterly sexy. And as much as I would like to avoid describing female acts in sexual terms, I cannot help it. The highlight was Pig Will Not - one of the most amusing songs on the album, on 20th April in Shepherd's Bush Empire, live, not only amusing but also neurotic.

What else can I add? PJ Harvey's performance was very moving, she sounded genuinely grateful that the audience was listening to songs. Acting out every song, she took me on a spiritual journey, however hackneyed it may sound. Forgive me this personal remark, dear readers, but I forgot myself completely, that during the last song, seeing yellow stars in front of my eyes, I was battling my body to prevent fainting and failing miserably, seeing the darkness and repeating 'I cannot see anything'. So my last memory is PJ Harvey surrounded by the stars. One more remark, this time about the photos, it seems not only my mind but also my mobile was overcome by the artist. Most of my pictures feature a white ghost of an ageless girl, with hard to distinguish features. Someone could blame the lighting or poor health for the above mentioned abnormalities but I would say it is PJ Harvey's black magic.



No comments:

Post a Comment