Monday 13 April 2009

Fever Ray


I had been looking forward to this performance for years. Anything The Knife I always wanted. Anything. Introduced to The Knife by my friend who was so obsessed with them that he would log in to all music forums to spread the word - hey, check out The Knife, they are awesome. Grassroot marketing, free of charge. The follies of youth. Or rather plenty of time. But I digress. Royal Festival Hall, 9th April, Ether Festival, Fever Ray + Royskopp, bloody back seats. I try not to complain about the audience or seats but this time, my dear readers will forgive me, I have to. Rear stalls for me, a person who is addicted to the front row exclusively who derives great pleasure in observing interactions and technicalities of making live music. It is a disgrace, albeit, well-deserved, you snooze you lose.

But back to Fever Ray, with mysterious lamp shades, two laser beams, they came - Karin and musicians - to sweep me off my feet, to take me to my roots, to instil fear and hint at the unknown. Even in the back row, with people coming in and out - which would be unheard-of under any other circumstances in Royal Festival Hall but I guess it was 'it is a festival after all' thinking so between me and Fever Ray there were individual making their way in and out. But I did not let it distract me. Sound was immaculate, perfect acoustics so now I pity my former self who thought Fever Ray was not perfect for full-blast. I may be getting old, but, once again, tears in my eyes at the beauty of the performance - surprisingly organic sound, tribal and primal coupled with stunning visuals dark misty woods stabbed by beams of light.

Needless to say, dear readers, I am determined to experience Fever Ray again.

No comments:

Post a Comment