Saturday 9 May 2009

Zombie Zombie


I love Zombie Zombie. Photo for now, review later this week. That is, maybe on Sunday.

Sunday is here and I have a little more time to elaborate on what an amazing live act Zombie Zombie are. I do not know where to start. Let me, perhaps, ignore the two supporting acts - Lime Headed Dog and Provokief, the latter name very intriguing for a bookworm as myself. Bringing to mind one of the most fascinating characters in Russian literature or not. Anyway, it was Zombie Zombie I was looking forward to on 6th May 2009 in Monarch. Gently sipping redbull with vodka and chatting to my dearest friend and fellow music lover who I was genuinely hoping would not be disappointed. For the sea of vodka or whatever it may take. They came on stage and brought back the magic. They are a team in rhythm, improvisation and immersion in sound, the two gentlemen. Not a huge venue, not many people, but Zombie Zombie as good as ever. Although I was a bit sentimental, as last time I saw them in the middle of summer, in Rough Trade East and the drummer clad in ripped jeans shorts was jumping on a stool. But that day audience was absolutely crazy and genuinely sharing their passion for sound. Those were the days! Anyway, dearest readers, my friend was smitten with Zombie Zombie and I was the happiest person to see them again and share my joy. I know it may sound controversial, but they are the closest anyone got to godlike genius of Kraftwerk and that is a compliment of a lifetime. So, my dearest readers, I recommend Zombie Zombie more than anything else. Especially in small venues, in the middle of the week. Redbull and vodka optional. As long as you do not get drunk easily.

Of course, I need to comment on the photo which you have the doubtful pleasure of seeing above. Miserable as usual, but this time I would like to add that it was coupled with me feeling miserable while taking it. Recently, music journalists have started to criticise the members of audience who, instead of enjoying the gig, concentrate on taking poor quality pictures with their camera phones. I feel this criticism is aimed at me, and god knows, I always feel guilty when I outstretch my arm to take a photo, stopping my breathing to prevent shaking, praying that nobody kicks me or passes me, to sum up, touches me, for that matter, as the camera phone is very moody. Especially in low light. Yes, now, on top of that, I sense, more than usual, hostility being fully aware that this blog is not enough to justify my silly ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment