Saturday 19 June 2010

Caribou, Mt Kimbie




Heaven again, 16th June 2010, a gig I had been looking forward to for quite some time. Somehow, I never got to see Caribou having missed a few opportunities.

First, Mt Kimbie - a decent live act, good electronic music. It was difficult to pull it off at a gig - an electronic live act - the audience did not come to dance and it is London so no one wants to dance. I appreciate Mt Kimbie but I was waiting for Caribou.

Caribou. Dearest Readers, I used to listen to the first album long time ago, enjoyed it but did not fall head over hill. With Swim, it was a different story. The album is one of my favourite albums at the moment, and I particularly enjoy it as a whole, with some melodies weaving through it, with a bit of soul, a bit of electronica or rather a lot. Perfect. Now here I am, in Heaven, slowly making my way to the first row. And I got what I did not dream of. The live show was better than the album. The sound was deeper, with a certain texture, and, last but not least, the musicians were talented. Especially the drummer. Initially plagued by technical problems, they absolutely delivered. It is a joy to see Daniel Snaith playing the drums, a strange flute, keyboard and singing. There was something in their act that I would call harmony, it was perfectly harmonious and also synchronised. I particularly enjoyed the drummer - who had would sometimes raise one stick and open his mouth, jumping on the stool, the bassist - who was very serious and with a great voice and, finally, the Caribou man - a perfectionist I would think. There are so many songs I liked much more live than on the album, which is unusual.

My brother would agree, he saw Caribou a couple days later, in Poland. They are better live than on the album he texted, drunkenly excited. Sadly, Caribou gig was the final nail to my cousin's coffin, construction of which started at a metal festival in Austria - 500 cans of beer and 500 hours of pogo - Caribou being the 500th can and 500th hour of pogo.

They were filming the gig so I am hoping, maybe, one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment