Wednesday 23 June 2010

Chilly Gonzales, Charlotte Gainsbourg




I have been a huge fan of Charlotte Gainsbourg - both actress and a singer even though I know she is not a songwriter or my revered type of a talented musician. I loved her first album and really liked the second. As an actress, she was most puzzling in 21 Grams and recently, mind-blowing in Antichrist.

Little did I know that on 22nd June 2010 to Shepherd's Bush Empire she would bring along an amazing artist by the name of Chilly Gonzales who would brighten my day. First of all, he is a talented musician - effortlessly playing the piano or rather making piano beats. Secondly, he is an absolutely hilarious story-teller and performer with his angry Jewish rapper persona. Finally, I actually know Chilly Gonzales' songs - I think he was quite big in Poland in early noughties. Remarkably silly of me. Needless to say, I am looking forward to seeing him live again. And again, and again.

As far as Charlotte is concerned. First, I was amazed at how up-tight and uneasy she was on stage. Sadly, that her voice was too low in the mix did not help. The band sounded perfect but to me the show should have been all about her whispering/murmuring and it took the sound guy half of the gig to realise it. Luckily, when this was sorted out, the gig went fine, the artist relaxed, sang a couple of covers including Dylan's Just Like a Woman, a sad song that always make me cry. Charlotte would speak French forgetting that she is in England, her famous mum was in the audience, but even though I liked the gig a lot, I felt that the arrangements were too loud or innovative. An charming and lovable artist like Charlotte sounds most flattering on her own and not necessarily in fancy arrangements. But is is just me, my Dearest Readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment