Monday 14 June 2010

Roy Harper, Joanna Newsom



11th May 2010 at Royal Festival Hall I was not expecting a catharsis. To start with, I had an awful headache and memories of Somerset House where I enjoyed Joanna Newsom immensely but the feeling did not last till the end of the gig. There was something in her voice that got annoying after one hour.

Now I realise what an ignorant I was. First of all, I knew next to nothing about Roy Harper whose tiny little performance blew me away, tore me into pieces, brought tears to my eyes. And I was far from the first row, as you can clearly see from the above pictures that feature candle lights as musicians. Joanna being the brightest light with her instrument. Terrible photos.

And then came Joanna, and I have to admit, it is hard to play after Roy Harper has left the stage. At least in my eyes. Nevertheless, the petite harpist poster girl for many (almost a month later I will meet a random music fan at a gig who will show me a picture of himself with smiling Joanna from ATP, she is smiling because someone from her team has just asked her 'are you sure you want to have a picture with this guy?') won my cold heart with her arrangements, mature voice and funny banter. I listen to her latest album which I was allergic to before the gig.

But oh Roy, what a fantastic story teller.

No comments:

Post a Comment